Herbalists are the Magicians of our time. Here's a few reasons Why:

J is one of the women in the Minneapolis community that helps to keep places like THE MEDICINE TREE, and Herbal-ism, alive.  You can walk into the store, walled with herbs like the PHOENIX Herb Company I grew up with in Kansas City, Missouri, and one of the staff will greet you with a smile.
Great items line the wall, plants in the sunny corners, and herbs to help heal most anything.  It's one of few natural herb stores in the cities, if you need help learning the ups and downs of natural healing.


I have always been a fan of natural medicine, and my mother's love of herbal-ism solidified it into my life forever. Putting fresh Aloe and Lavender on a burn, Oregano for an upset tummy, Banana peel for Psoriasis of the skin... something that felt good, cured, and didn't have a list of adverse side effects. When I was diagnosed with cancer at only 17, it was alternative methods that I thank for my continued health and my two healthy sons.  I am far more trusting of Mother Nature than I am of Mankind, and for that reason, I hope to share with you some of my favorite HERBALIST Tips:


  1. Where to go to learn a bit more about the Fundamentals of Natural Healing SCHOOL
  2. If you want to dabble, check out essential oils (DO NOT INGEST) but consider Wyndmere or BACH. Bach Remedies is a place you can find great tinctures, ones I use weekly, to help with cycle-related depression and anxiety or just helping with focus and clarity. 
  3. When it comes to natural soap, my Kansas City sisters at ZUM are the best... 
  4. START a garden. Seriously, the next best thing to do is learn how you can appreciate plants from seed to sprout and all the gifts they give. I love my plants for their purification of air, herbs for cooking, herbs for lotion making on the fly, plants for beauty, company and even aromatics. 

Hot peppers, cilantro, even a cabbage can be grown in-doors and plucked often for edibles. 


Little home plants make the best character, decoration and addition to any room. Bedside plants can be purchased at any local florist and for us in Minneapolis, we prefer Bachmann's


This time of year, don't forget that if you live somewhere free of Pesticides, as the dandelions sprout - gather them! They make great tinctures, attract bees for pollination and do not have to be removed from the garden/lawn or thrown out. 


Staring my own garden and learning to take my black 'thumb of death' (trust me, I could kill a cactus) has slowly become a little easier and 'greener' since having children; really it's that I don't over water or over love them.  I used to name plants, love them to death like John Malkovich and wondered why they would die. Now with children, I have no time for anything, and somehow all the plants grow like crazy. Spider plants, aloe plants, little tree plants, and herbs. I've found the kids love to learn about them and it helps to make the idea of 'growing strong' a REAL THING because a sprout can grow inches over night. The green thumb is all about magic and the integration of Mother Earth and her healing energy. 

What do YOU like to keep around you for positive growth? 

Comments

Popular Posts