Books to Read? I got a few

I'm trying more and more, now that the boys are getting bigger, to get back into reading more. I've spent the last five years breast-feeding and reading instruction labels for either IKEA or some form of medicine for myself and now I'm finally getting back to time, energy and ability to pick up a good read and have more than three minutes to focus.  The five year old is reading, and it's so fun to cuddle up together and read a good book and the more you do it in front of the kids, the more excited I've noticed they are to learn.
(Duh)

However, with screen time in heavy and constant competition, how do you make reading fun? Well, we've done treats, conditioning, and both my husband and I love to read. Visits to the library, epic journeys to the museum and always mentioning that 'well, once you learn to read, you'll be able to KNOW THAT."  It instigates power, motivation, drive and purpose. One day, our five year old went from sounding out words to reading books on his own.

Now, not only do I love to read - but I mostly do it because I want to become a better writer. The blog, the reading, the hoping for more time and energy, its all so I can hopefully write more. I already write for my alumni newsletters, and also for monthly online magazines -
However, I feel my soul singing a Willy Wonka song about wanting more!

In 2015, I published my first book, with Llewellyn Publishing (a total fluke I might add), and learned first-hand what it's like to birth a book.  Getting online reviews, testimonials, and knowing that when someone comes up to, at a convention, with your book in hand... they know intimate parts of you! Haunted by the Abyss was my first, and something I wrote with confusion and reluctance; as every first book is.


The second, Quantum Parapsychology, was published in 2017 and has been a totally different adventure. This book was self-published by my co-author and it seemed every reader wanted it - but every publisher was scared of it. Most fact/non-fiction material must be entertaining or it written by someone with a following already.  Most text-like books you see are written by your college professor, over-priced and forced upon you.  Our book, to help get paranormal investigators interested in science, and vice versa, was a hard sell.  However, after more than four years of pushing - the book was birthed.

Now, I have a year of prepping for a gaggle of more books.  A few more non-fiction, Haunted by the Abyss II and also some explorations into fantasy and science fiction! I hope you'll continue to join me on my adventures and that you'll let me know what good reads you suggest!

Comments

Popular Posts