January: All about the New Hobbies...

My dearest friend often tells me that my anxiety could be cured with 'Scandinavian Prosac' aka learning to knit or keep my hands busy. I love to dance, write, hike, do yoga, paint, rock-hunt but I don't know much about knitting or crocheting. I wish I did, but while my grandma was teaching the other girl cousins, I was riding the lawn mower with grandpa and picking berries outside.

I had far more interest in chasing snakes, collecting bugs, carving trees, smashing pennies on the train tracks and helping grandpa in the garage to build something cool. I loved eating grandma's food, but as a young girl, I didn't feel comfortable inside. Home, for me, was not a safe intimate space and so I felt more free outside.

The small details, sitting somewhere in a quiet moment, seems like torture. However, I'm trying.  One recent treasure was helping her complete fun, holiday treasures that she calls, Tomkins.  The Tomkin is a cute Swedish man that reminds me of the gnomes and creatures my dad keeps on his dresser mantle; some Jim Hensen fantasy character. Cute little hats, imaginary eyes, long beards and no body. Easy to make, cute to create and easy to enjoy.


 Hand-sewing little felt bodies, tufted beards and little bead or molded noses wasn't torture. 


Synchronicity would have it that later that day, I was reading about the Santa's all over the world. Brushing up on the details of my own elaborate SANTA story that I tell my children, had me exploring Swedish Elementals, gnomes and the Tomte.

nisse (Danish: [ˈnesə] Norwegian: [²nisːe]), tomte (Swedish: [²tɔmːtɛ]), tomtenisse or tonttu (Finnish: [tontːu]) is a mythological creature from Nordic folklore today typically associated with the winter solstice and the Christmas season. It is generally described as being no taller than 90 cm (35 in), having a long white beard, and wearing a conical or knit cap in red or some other bright colour. They often have an appearance somewhat similar to that of a garden gnome (which are also called trädgårdstomte in Swedish, havenisse in Danish, hagenissein Norwegian and puutarhatonttu in Finnish).

Comments

Popular Posts