Where's the Beef? My Lack of Food Posts Lately are Because...

Well, I've never been one to follow a recipe. Most of my delicious food happenings are "Iron-Chef Sarah" experiences that happen only once in a lifetime.  I have the family go-to recipes that will never change, the Harmon Tacos/Chicken Noodles/Stir Fry, but mostly each meal comes together based on what we have in the house at the time.  Eating 'fresh' and avoiding preservatives means we eat from our scrawny city garden, visit the Farmers Market on the weekends for produce, buy our meat once or twice a month in bulk and the rest is just weekly runs for food prepping and snacking.


I always have berries, fruit, smoothie-mixings, yogurt and the staples, but sometimes you just wish you could re-create that amazing dish you had that one time; or at least I do.  Today is #NationalRaspberryCakeDay if you can believe there is such a thing, but it had me thinking about my lack of food posts. All because of raspberries...


Old house Merlot sitting about, a jam about to go bad, some berries that you know aren't 'super fresh' but the idea of a soggy fruit salad makes you cringe. It all came together in the perfect Raspberry Crumble. A crumble is the best Go-To if you have some of the basics laying about - fruit, butter - sugar - starch. I remember this one CHOPPED episode where one of my favorite chefs, Zakarian said, "if you can take a food ingredient back to it's very basic root, you can create a recipe. French fries? Starch." After that, cooking without ANY recipe or plan B phone call, mid-cooking on hand situations were minimal; I can cook with anything.

I had no idea he was a CIGAR fan, but then I went down this RABBIT HOLE. I'm a Patel fan myself. 
Anyway, when I post photos on INSTAGRAM of my food, often times I get comments and messages coming in for the recipes and I feel bad that my honest response is a complicated jumble of ingredients. It was causing simple frustration and communication issues and so I decided to keep my food posts to a minimal and focus more on how I could connect with others.  That is honestly through psychology, blogging and sharing my struggles. So, that is what you see more of now; yoga, landscape, inspiration, magic.  


The crumble above is a mish-mash of THIS RECIPE but with substitutes.  Almond flour and cracker crumbs, oats instead of flour and some shortening/lard instead of butter.  I simmered all my berries, wine, honey (no sugar), molasses, cinnamon, cardamon, down and layered the thick jammy substance over the buttered-oat crumble. Press, bake until needed... you can have fun with it!  The most important thing is to ENJOY THE PROCESS.

Comments

Popular Posts