Haunted America Conference 2017: A Spiritual Adventure.

The truth is, I was a bit nervous to once again be leaving the comfort of my home and family amidst the middle of conquering this 'anxiety thing'.  My panic attacks are happening more frequently and though I can ride them out much easier, as I learn more about my body, the idea of being out on the road or in a hotel alone when one hits was enough to trigger a little worry. I took a deep breath and reminded myself that these conferences, these adventures across the country to see the world, are exactly what I need.
Haunted America Conference feat. Troy Taylor 2017

I packed up all my items for the conference, kissed my sweet boys goodbye and was on the open road by 10:00 am Friday morning. By dinner time I was hoping to arrive in Illinois, 568  miles away, and be ready to answer questions on the speaker panel.  The thought that I would once again be sitting by the likes of April Slaughter, Rosemary Guiley, Robb Demarest, Greg & Dana, Keith Age, and the list goes on... to be topped only by the host, Troy Taylor.  It made the butterflies in my gut spasm but the honor and experience filled me to the brim with excitement.






I arrived just in time to slurp down a coffee, load my vendor table up with books and hug a few paranormal family friends before being ushered into the main lecture hall for the speaker FAQ. Troy introduced everyone and the questions began. Scariest places, what is a ghost, biggest fears, craziest paranormal tales...




After the chatting and laughing extended into the night, the crowds mingled over tables full of paranormal peculiars, books, crafts and more. The hotel restaurant became the meeting spot and late night discussions of projects, life struggle, paranormal adventures and fun ensued. In the company of highly haunted items, very strange people and tall tales I feel quite at home. 




Dana & Greg let me have some one-one time with some of the most haunted items! Billy is the best!

It was nearly 2 am before I finally found sleep but the alarm buzzed for my 7 o'clock wake up far too soon. My lecture was the first of the day; a bit of pressure I must say.  As my friend Keith Age says, "you want to see who fills the seats!" The first lecture, earlier than most of us para-peeps rise, after a late night no less was sure to be bare.  An early morning to see 'Paranormal Sarah', who in my mind is nothing more than a struggling author and student of the world. I arrived to a full house of people excited to talk, BEING HAUNTED. I felt a sense of relief as the lecture poured out of me.  The feedback was amazing and within an hour all of my books were SOLD OUT. Haunted Illinois, podcast entertainers and authors all asking questions of meat and girth and my brain was bursting at the seams!



After the lectures, shopping, chatting, and connecting with one interesting person after another, it was time to hop on a haunted tour of Alton, IL.  Dinner would be atop of the green rolling mountains at a local winery and Troy was at the mic leading the tour.  The tour was full of historic details, stories, trivia and fun little nooks of information about this nationally 'haunted town'.  It was amazing to sit in the back of the bus, peering out of my small window to snap photos, and look out to see a demographic of people coming together over gruesome gab and promises of activity from the other side. All ages, genders, income brackets seem to meld together in the interest of what lies beyond the veil.  I grinned to see people immersed in Troy's stories and capturing photos of their own to keep for future story-telling.  Cryptid human-eating birds, bottomless blue lagoon pits, and views to die for. 








We arrived at the winery by sunset and enjoyed grilled chicken and vegetables by the river. The view was amazing and it was especially nice to have a moment of stillness among friends. I sat back in the company of April Slaughter, my growing sisterhood in the paranormal, and watched Troy mingle with his guests. It was truly a place of family. My soul was feeling full. 







As we piled back on the bus to head towards the hotel, plans of the evening stirred among the crowd.  April was to have a very personal session over ITC devices and I had a personal connection to her story; I was excited and nervous at what the Universe would have in store for me.  April would be sharing a very personal account of her obstacles through grief and physical disease, motherhood and human pain to reach her love and support on the 'other side'.  The bus ride was short and soon we were all piling into a dark room at the end of a back hallway.  

The lights dimmed over April as she admitted her story was going to be hard to tell and to hear. Being a forensic psychologist, empath, and friend to her... I wasn't sure how emotional I would become, but I welcomed the experience. Robb and I sat in the back row and the room was full of speakers, researchers, skeptics and fans alike. April took a deep breath and began. 


For those who were present with me, I'm sure you could say 'grandiosely moving' is an understatement.  To have a woman stand up and bravely share her journey to reach her beloved grandfather in her dark times of depression, to play audio of herself crying out over the ether... I didn't know how full my spirit could become.  Her pleas to divine love about being a sufficient mother and desperate moments of a researcher trying to validate a spiritual moment was 'real' and raw.  I think everyone who was present sees ITC devices and April in a new light and I'm sure we're all clambering to read over her book REACHING BEYOND THE VEIL. I know she won't fully let it saturate her, but her story is liberating to many of us still struggling through grief; a priceless gift of hope. "Thank you." 

So how does a paranormal conference end? Investigations, late night laughter by the fire pit and extra long hugs to those we know we may not see again until our annual paranormal gathering sometime in the future.  Promises to reconnect longer next time, hopes of projects in the making and handshakes to future expeditions.  Vendors packing up their items, speakers taking back the last of the alcohol at last-call and masses of people in black darting from one haunted location to another throughout the night. I found myself by the fire surrounded by friends. 


As always, electrical malfunctions and void of cell service leaves someone stranded at the airport and synchronicity and Universe would once again dance for me.  I was blessed with a rental car and the opportunity to take a friend over the river to their 5 am flight out of Saint Louis.  Discussions of rap music battles, lyrical disses, future projects and appreciation. As I found my way back to my hotel before a day of travel, a few short hours of sleep before the road and I would meet, the Sun peeked over the river.  I was the only person alive it seemed - alone in a city at sunrise with what seemed to be a gift of opportunity all for myself. I smiled with gratitude and melted into my pillow with happy thoughts. 

I missed my family and my stomach was too turbulent to eat breakfast. I slipped from the bustling hotel lobby and onto the open roads of Illinois, Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota with hopes of safe arrival home (and perhaps the gift of a wormhole).  The drive provided a ton of reflection, time to digest my thoughts and experiences and sing out in celebration for the many gifts I receive. Sappy perhaps, but it just seemed like validation that I was just where I needed to be at with the right people - places - experiences.  That feeling of 'it' surpasses epiphany and for a moment you're thankful for all the dark times; the brightness almost hurts. 



To all those who attended, "thank you".  To all those who did not, "see you next year!"

Did I mention April does KILLER skull art? Get yours HERE



Comments

Popular Posts