The Harmon Wedding - a visit to Kansas City


A drive to Kansas City, Missouri starts early. Like, really, really, early.  I had already packed the car, pre-packed all the extra underwear and wipes I hope I wouldn't need for the seven hours stuck in a vehicle and already noted the quickest route to coffee.  The boys were moving slow but their eyes cracked open when they heard me repeating, "get up sleep head, we're headed to Kansas City... Kansas City here I come!" With a slight song in my words they awaken and both Brandon and I carried them to their car seats with luggage tucked around every arm and hinge we could bear. The elevators cling behind us, the cat is fed, the windows slightly cracked and the trash NOT taken out (we smelled that upon arrival later), we were on the road by 8:27am. A damn miracle.

A little line for coffee at Alma, light traffic out of the cities but we were already looking out over windmills by the time we were thinking of lunch.  We arrived in Kansas City by late lunchtime and were happy to have no accidents, tantrums, fits or 'incidents' while en route; another damn miracle.


Alma Cafe and Restaurant (B&B) just up the road. 
Iowa is always stinky, there is always a stretch of 30 mile highway down to one lane for no reason and the conversations can be priceless. Windows down, music up! 

Capturing Time Photography with a Canon Lens on-hand the moment papa Danny starts showing off the famous tractors.

We took in the afternoon and just before dinner I was stricken with anxiety. It hadn't haunted me for nearly a week, almost a full seven days without my heart beating through my chest and sweaty hands... but here I was.  I was safe, excited to be near family, wanting and yearning to snap photos of my dad making memories with my sons but I was immobilized with panic and dizziness.  With embarrassment, a bit more fuel for my antagonist of dying depression, I crumpled on the guest bed for a long nap. Thank God for good husbands who cover you with a blanket and without judgement let you rest. 

Daring, brave, bold and not interested in a single photo session but just to "go fast!"


The next day we enjoyed a beautiful family wedding full of smiles, laughter, dancing and delicious food.  The afternoon was infectious with positive energy and getting to see all of my talented family was inspiring. I am reminded of my strength because I hear the obstacles and struggles of others and see their bold energy; they are surviving and I have the same blood. I am empowered by the amazing women in my family who juggle families, knitting, cooking, canning, soccer practice, church functions, keep a clean house, have ironed clothes and who seem to genuinely be smiling.  My village is amazing. 






Early Sunday we woke up to fresh donuts, wet grass, laughing children and no plans but to hit the open road at some point. The boys cleaned their cars, rode tractors, I chatted with family that stopped in/out throughout the morning and by late afternoon we were packed up in the car again for a long drive home. I always have tears in my eyes when I hug my dad goodbye and wave out the window.  Seven hours and over four hundred miles can be a long drive for someone who still works 40 hours a week but so badly wants to retire and enjoy his grandchildren.  His Harley is gathering dust, his friends are all out travelling and he feels confined. I hope his heart stays strong and happy just a bit longer I tell myself, just a bit longer... while knowing the children, and myself, are all aging.  Time goes by too fast. 









Thank you Kansas City. 

Comments

Popular Posts