Animal Totems : What the hell do they mean anyway?


One of the most frequent questions I get asked when someone learns that I either do divination, am part Cherokee or that I 'do psychic stuff', is 'what are my animal totems'? I used to cringe at this repetitive question because I was annoyed at the lack of connection people were making with what exactly a 'totem animal' was and also that Native Americans find that term to be 'offensive' so I gravel in the PC correctness of how to help educate someone from the ground up.  It's an easy question with a very complicated and personal answer.  Spirit guides, animal energies, animal totems, familiars... whatever the term, the overall idea is that you find guidance and wisdom from the presence of a specific animal and so in short, your animal guide is YOURS TO KNOW (and in Godly voice), you alone.

Native Americans find the term 'Red Skin' and 'animal totem' offensive - 

The long and less psychically-cryptic answer = what animals mean something to you already. What animals do you collect, find happiness in, avoid the changing the channel when they are featured on National Geographic, and what animals do you find you see most often.  Some animals are obviously rational and objective coincidence but also part of your routine; they mean something to you. The 'annoying' woodpecker, the 'loud' dog on the corner every morning, the hawk that lurks on the same light pole each night on your drive home. Your daily routine is tainting these animals but they still mean something - in a Freudian sense.  However, when people are asking about 'their guide' or 'totem' animal, they want that special creature that is somehow kindred to them.  Honestly, that is something you - me - they already know and either need validated or to be said out loud.  Like the Never Ending Story, "Say my name!"

It's true, Hippos kill more people in Africa each year than any other animal (combined). 

For example, I have always loved the Hippo and the more I  learn about my specific spiritual guides and mentors, the more I gravitate towards the Egyptian Goddess, Hathor and the symbolic purpose of the hippo within that culture. They are a symbol of fertility, strength, intuition, female power and control and I found I saw more of them when I was pregnant.  I would have a trinket handed to me at the market by a vendor and it would be a small hippo. I would grin, tuck it into my pocket beneath my growing baby bump and find comfort in the validation of the Hippo in my life. It is very personal to me in a specific way.

You don't have to see the 'actual' animal to have it be a sign. Often art, stories or even a discussion of the animal in someone's life might come up in perfect context. Those people who get animal tattoos might attest. Have one? 

The Hedgehog.  I declared this one of my animal guides because I like it, much as the sloth and rhino.  I've had four hedgehogs in my single life growing up and now have my fifth as my son's first childhood 'pet'.  Declan and Stellan got MR the hedgie just this past spring and their presence is a reminder of how to be delicate, patient and aware at all times.  They get to know you, smell you, come when they are called but find they are picky about their company.  Like shedding toxic people, they prefer the company of what they love - simple and soft but bold and unique.  They come into my life at just the right time as a reminder to 'don't take this shit' and remind me that I can put up my guard to deflect those I don't want in my village. I CAN CHOOSE MY COMPANY.  The prickly, fickle, and picky hedgehog is still lovable.

Mr. Hedgehog is an all-white (not albino) African P hedgehog (5 months old)

I have a slew of 'animal guides' or familiars, totems or kindred spirits and some have found me while others I have declared.  When you take time to think, contemplate their meaning, their timing, how YOU FEEL about the animal, you can remove coincidence by establishing their meaning. Then, in the future when they reappear, your intuition helps you take notice while your rational mind recalls the pre-determined meaning and the message can be clear and precise without the wind of doubt blowing through. You don't need a psychic to tell you, or a mushroom to guide you, or a walk in nature to 'speak to you' but instead just open your eyes and DETERMINE your connections with the signs and guides already around you.  Use them as positive validation - a cryptic world all for you -

Comments

Popular Posts