National No Socks Day - You know what this means...

Earthing!
Grounding!
Barefoot, oh my!

Follow me on adventures... 
As a young girl, I was often out digging in the garden, running to and from the house and pool or wading through the creek down the way; always barefoot.  I remember feeling the hot concrete on a July afternoon beneath my feet, burning experience and childhood bonus points with each agonizing step. I remember the soft dirt of a newly tilled garden as my mother usually screamed for me to stop fucking up her lines. I remember the blisters of new shoes, hand-me-down shoes, any shoes! I remember wanting to be barefoot all the time.

Now, as an 'adult' (using my Dana Carvey fingers), I rarely feel like it's appropriate to be barefoot.  Now, instead of pool runs I'm doing errands at a grocery store, bank, and then the post office. Instead of hot concrete searing badassery into my feet as I hobble timelessly, it's concrete ruining my last good pair of running shoes or concrete that jars my high-heel into my tibia. Being barefoot as an adult, means late night bedtime routine or moments at home as I clean - wherein my barefeet are dodging LEGOS, rouge fries, exiled salad leaves soggy squished between my toes. Barefoot is not the same.
Jimmy Fallon "ew"
However, I'm moving from the city and to the great NORTH! I'm secretly a bit fearful, inner narrative of Armegeddon in my head, and counting all the things I look forward to. (Not ticks, not ticks, not ticks... breathe Sarah, breathe...)

Gardening again and feeling the soft soil between my toes.
Walking the landline with my pup and scouting out mushrooms, new creatures, new landscape... feeling the appreciation under my feet. No more concrete, no more walking at everyone elses' pace, no more 'no shirt, no shoes, no service.' Instead, I'll be able to GROUND the old fashion way.

So, with this NATIONAL NO SOCKS day, I ask you, "How do YOU ground?"




Grounding is about centering yourself, easing your mind, being able to manifest peace and stillness. Connecting with all things around you and purging the negative. Just like a carbon dioxide/oxygen relationship we're often associating with trees and people, think about actual energy in all forms moving between our bodies and nature.

Tree hugging, connecting with nature, Earthing, or just good ol' fashioned wilderness adventures help alleviate a range of physical ailments and trust me, forest-therapy is a THING.  Getting out in nature, connecting with animals (service animals, pets, food...), foraging for food, even touching the plants or having plants in your space can improve your physical, emotional and mental health; spiritual?


They (THEY), that's right, they say that being one with nature is an ancient practice and that whether you choose to accept the science of earthing, trust the traditions of our elders or just want to try yourself - it's likely you'll feel better if you peel off your socks and get barefoot in the forest.

So, go on already! 

Comments

Popular Posts