Birds & Their Meaning

I've always been a very spiritual person when it comes to my connection with animals. I was lucky enough to have animal-friendly parents and enough land to learn how to raise a myriad of animals. Pigs, chickens, ducks, tadpoles, cattle, Guineas, rabbits and the list goes on. I've had hedgehogs, canaries, scorpions, tarantulas, shrews, possums, turtles and eels. My sister was a vet tech throughout college and even now I adore visiting the zoo, animal shelters and exotic stores every chance I get. 

Wild Kratts, Steve Irwin, National Geographic, and even cartoons like The Last Unicorn taught me animal conservation and despite growing up a fan of the Barnum & Bailey Circus, I too adore the life behind every creature. Spirituality and synchronicity, symbols and signs are all a big part of how I practice my connection to the world around me and therefore, I've taken time to chart my totems and guides.

Some indigenious cultures are offended by the term used by 'non natives' to declare their connection to a certain animal. Familiar, animal totem, spirit animal, guide or other terms can be considered offensive to some but I've always found this subjective to culture. Cherokee and Sinti relatives, friends from other cultures, naturalists from all over the world have chimed in on their thoughts behind symbolism and animism, human psychology...  I find the intention to be most important.

Do you connect with a certain animal? Some sort of 'favorite' creature that you've always been fond of or that you might see over and over? Nicknames, favorite stuffed animals, tattoos, the choice to watch a documentary on the animal are all little signs we have interest. Why? That is for you to explore. Some animals trigger happy memories, delicate thoughts, lessons of strength and represent certain people, places and times in my life. Others, they've just always been there.

Birds are a common 'spirit animal' because they are winged and often used metaphorically in literature to the spirit. Messengers of wisdom, familiars throughout time, some intelligent enough to use tools and signal the arrival of strangers; even talking birds. Pirates having big birds on their shoulder, the sign of hope as a white dove, the national mascot: a big, powerful bird.

For most of us, we'll have similar triggers and associations. Other unique interests and attachments will be due in part to a personal and intimate memory. How, if, when we choose to recall or allow ourselves to recall and taking the time to vocalize to the Universe that THIS BIRD MEANS THIS BECAUSE __________.  Quite simply, to speak out (spell, cast, mantra, sing, chant...) out into the Ether exactly what something means to you, or for clarification, and do not doubt yourself.

The Cardinal is my grandfather Francis, a symbol of wisdom, strength, patience and craftsmanship. Listen to the music, love others, always be kind.

The Bluejay is a symbol of my youthful vigor. The rare, untainted youth that is brazen and bold.

The turtle dove is my grandmother Fern showing me her love.

The Raven has many meanings and is one of my many tattoos. I have different meanings for when/how/amount of ravens come across my path. They are wisdom, Odin, thick with culture and folklore, ancient wisdom and respect.



I have so many signs, symbols, messengers of information that I'm always connected in some way. A flutter of birds will catch my attention, trigger a thought and pull the corners of my mouth upward to the sky because I have unlocked a chosen memory of happiness and purpose. The Universe speaks HOW you want it to speak and you set the intentions. You only control yourself.

More suggestive meanings for seeing birds:




Comments

Popular Posts