The Saint I love most, this Saints Day, is:

Saint Thecla.

So many Saints, sports teams and religious martyrs but which do you celebrate on Saints Day and why?  I choose Thecla most years because her unheard story reminds me, much like Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta, that doing great deeds often goes unheard. So much of my ego wants to be recognized and so often I find that going incognito wears on the soul. I want to be able to feel relief, pride, self-worth and inner love without the recognition of others. Also, as a woman who survived sexual abuse as a child, I find that the legends and back alley stories of Thecla illustrate her vast teachings on the complexity of virginity and self-baptism.



She was condemned to die, condemned herself to isolation many times and despite her self-destruction, was able to change the lives of others on a great frequency. She was a role model.
Technically, Catholics (the same who censored her from the Bible) would say it's appropriate to celebrate this Saint on September 23rd, Feasts Day.

I however, will do as Thecla did, and celebrate both - many times, as I wish, and be thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts