Dress Grunge for a Day: I find Grunge Beautiful because...

Well, Seattle and the 1990's were a fun time for me.  My teenage youth was highlighted with the birth of hip hop in the mainstream, where Ice-Cube was considered the antithesis to 'good music' and GRUNGE was the 'defiant, lazy-kids movement'.  The long-hair, unwashed and unscathed by society and what people thought. To me, GRUNGE was a mental defiance and prioritization of the moment over social construct.
I can appreciate it's annoyance to those who have to put on their business attire to keep the machine going but I also appreciate and recognize the importance of the off-stream creativity. Fashion, music, style, stoner-conversations coming off the winds of the northern East Coast were different and cool where I was.


I appreciated the androgynous, heroine-addict beauty standards on women despite being a curvaceous young woman and I loved the pale skin and dark eyes, though my cheer-leading coach would not approve.  I heard the music, I felt the feelings, but I was already too involved to change my behaviors... it meant letting a lot of people down. So, GRUNGE was a vacation, a distant wish, a bold defiance that I idolized and found sexy. Sometimes, when traveling on a job where no one would know me, I packed an extra outfit I had been compiling for weeks. I would wear my Pulp Fiction wig, rip the denim and break out my buttons from all the favorite bands I was hoarding and I could publicly be WEIRD for a moment with a completely different experience.


GRUNGE was liberating if you did it right. I was scary in the wrong places, ignored in the most useful of places and still holds a special place in my heart. I am even waiting for the day my hubster and I can role play a GRUNGE night, complete with warm beer and a wet stage.





I find GRUNGE beautiful because it's bold. It's someone saying in their mind, "If I dye my hair this color and get this piercing, wear this shade of lipstick, the world will surely shun me."
*Shrugs with a smile*
Does it anyway.


Comments

Popular Posts